The REAL ID Act passed eight years ago. It creates an “internal passport.” You must show it in order to travel or to enter a federal building.
The GOOD NEWS is that 25 states refused to implement REAL ID, though Homeland Security continues to extend deadlines for implementation. Your pressure helped achieve this.
The BAD NEWS: REAL ID isn’t dead yet.
Worse, a new Senate immigration bill would require a new ID scheme — E-Verify. And it’s even more despicable.
Let’s oppose both REAL ID and E-Verify. You may borrow from or copy this letter...
I DEMAND that you repeal REAL ID, and that you remove “E-Verify” from the Immigration bill. Here are 8 reasons:
1. You have NO Constitutional authority to regulate state ID cards or impose a national identification system.
2. A national ID puts my personal information in a federal database, making it MORE vulnerable to hacking and theft.
3. The Constitution protects my right to travel across state lines; a mandatory ID reduces that right to a privilege.
4. A national ID imposes unconstitutional, unfunded mandates on the states.
5. A national ID creates obstacles to the elderly, poor, divorced women, and others who may have difficulty finding all the required documents to "prove" their identity.
6. A national ID would NOT have prevented 9/11 or the Boston Marathon bombing.
7. A national ID will contain biometric and tracking technology. I AM FREE, and REFUSE TO BE WATCHED.
8. The supposed immigration problem a national ID seeks to solve isn’t a problem at all. America BENEFITS from immigration.
National ID requirements are NOT an act of government. They are an act of tyranny.
I DO NOT CONSENT to national ID schemes. Repeal REAL ID and oppose E-Verify.
Jim Babka is President of DownsizeDC.org.