Quote of the Day: "Imagine the grand improvements in our standard of living that could have been achieved in the past decade had our money, steel, and labor not been squandered on drones, missiles, and fighter jets." — Joseph Diedrich (A UW-Madison student and member of Young Americans for Liberty)
May 18 is the deadline for a debt ceiling agreement.
If no agreement is reached, Congress and the President will HAVE to slash spending and balance the budget.
If you think the federal “government” is a wasteful, destructive force, then failing to reach agreement would be GOOD.
I urge you to do the same. The hardwired message says:
Do NOT raise the debt ceiling ever again.
You may borrow from or copy these additional comments...
Neither party wants to control spending. Here’s evidence from the Project on Defense Alternatives (http://bit.ly/XxpTUs)...
* Obama’s 10-year budget plan would delay cuts in Defense until 2019, and only by $100 billion.
* Republicans would nullify sequestration and allow defense spending to grow with inflation.
Why not IMMEDIATE, STEEP cuts?
The U.S. spends 45% of the worlds military outlays — six times what China spends. And most of the world’s other big military spenders are U.S. allies. (http://bit.ly/yUEVpj)
This makes me wonder...
* Is the Military-Industrial Complex driven by national security concerns or by pork and graft?
* Are you “governing” for me, or are you STEALING from me to reward your cronies?
* What if the resources and technology used for the military were directed toward life-enhancing consumer goods?
You’re supposed to represent me. That’s why I’m telling you to refuse any agreement to raise the debt ceiling. This would force steep and automatic cuts. There’d be less money...
* To subsidize crony capitalism
* To fuel Pentagon pork and graft
* For pork and graft in domestic spending (which often gets squeezed into defense appropriations)
Thus, the $2.9 trillion in taxes you’ll receive will still be sufficient to fund... (http://bit.ly/ZVITxK)
* military pay
* pensions for veterans and federal employees
* Social Security
* Medicare and Medicaid
Your Chicken Little scare tactics won’t work on me. I know you can fund these things. And I know that...
Capping the debt WON’T lead to “default.”
But it WILL constrain your corrupt spending habits.
Don’t raise the debt ceiling!
If you found this article valuable please share it. You can follow Jim Babka on Twitter @JimBabka