Quote of the Day: "A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul." -- George Bernard Shaw
I sent this letter to Congress using DownsizeDC.org's End Subsidies campaign:
Politicians moan about the "hard choices" needed to cut the budget, but there are plenty of easy cuts you could make. For instance . . .
* Congress looted taxpayers for $37 BILLION that went to energy companies in 2010: http://thedc.com/xYYgG8
* Billions even went to the Big 6 Oil firms that had profits of $148.7 billion: http://bit.ly/JULIKn
I want you to cut all energy subsidies: oil, natural gas, nuclear, solar, wind, bio-fuels, all of it!
For-profit companies don't need my money. Stop picking my pocket. And stop picking my neighbors' pockets too.
Here are three more reasons...
* If you can't even make easy budget cuts like this, then financial disaster is certain.
* We won't know alternative energy is really viable until it can succeed without stealing my money.
* Subsidies inspire lobbying, which inspires corrupt mal-investments like Solyndra.
Please learn from Germany's mistakes (http://thedc.com/xYYgG8)...
* Germany made massive investments in wind and solar, leading to...
* Electricity prices three times higher than what we pay, and yet...
* Wind and solar still can't compete, even with all the help.
Restore natural free market prices. Permit more drilling. Stop stealing!
I deny you my consent for these subsidies. They are illegitimate. They are criminal. End them!
And, we encourage you to share this Dispatch on your social networks.
Budget Update: We need another $14,994.74 to reach our May goal. If you can help, here's our secure contribution form.
Policy Research Director