Today's Downsizer Dispatch
. . .
Quote of the Day:
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
- Ronald Reagan
Subject: Growth rings
I called a Congressional office the other day. Even though I'd never spoken with this staffer, I didn't need much of an introduction. He knew about DownsizeDC.org. He knew about us because we're making a growing noise.
is being heard. YOU
are penetrating the Congressional echo chamber.
If Downsize DC was a tree, the growth ring for 2008 would be looking pretty fat right now. We're having our best February ever, and 2008 has gotten off to a roaring start.
We're recruiting new Downsizers at a faster rate . . .
- Last month we recruited 1,114 new Downsizers
- This month we've recruited 1,038
- That's our best annual start ever
We came close several times in 2007, but we never did crack 1,000 new Downsizers in a month. Now we've already done it twice in 2008.
Plus, your pressure on Congress is also growing . . .
Let's set a new record. Let's top 50,000. I'll tell you how in just a moment. But first . . .
- Last month we set a RECORD for messages to Congress -- 49,041
- This month we've sent 46,815 -- with three days left to go!
- Another 2,226 messages would set a new record
- 3,185 more would put us over 50,000 messages for the first time.
The number of contributions has also increased, but the average is about $15. It would take another 154 of those to close the $2,308 gap we currently have in our February budget. We need some larger contributions to make it. Probably, we need at least one donation of $1,000. Please help us. You can contribute here.
And send a message to Congress. It's been a while since we've asked them to repeal the REAL ID Act. We don't want them to think we've forgotten about it. Let's remind them. Remember, the REAL ID Act . . .
- Creates a national ID card you will need to work or travel . . .
- With a centralized, highly vulnerable database of your personal information
That's un-American. Let's stop it from happening. Pressure Congress. Set a new record. Tell Congress to repeal the REAL ID Act.
Thank you for your contributions to our growth ring. Thank you for being a part of the growing Downsize DC Army.