That's because REAL ID - which is a de facto national ID card - lays the foundation for a future police state.
That's why so many people have fought against it so hard for so long. And thanks to that resistence REAL ID still hasn't been implimented, six years after it became law! A big part of this is because of your pressure.
And now there's more good news . . .
There's a silver lining in the monstrous, 1,926-page appropriations bill (H.R. 3082). This bill rescinds funding for a REAL ID "hub." The House already passed the bill, and the Senate will consider it as soon as TODAY.
This hub would have created a centralized ID verification system, where states share driver information with each other. Without this hub, REAL ID suffers a fatal blow.
You may borrow from or copy this letter . . .
I'm glad that the House is rescinding funding for a REAL ID hub in the H.R. 3082 budget bill. My Senators should ensure that this rescission remains in the bill.
But you should do more. Repeal REAL ID entirely.
* REAL ID assumes I am a foreign terrorist or illegal immigrant, and that I must "prove" my innocence
* I am punished with higher fees, more red tape, and longer DMV lines
* And my private information will be centralized, making me more susceptible to identity theft and other dangers
Furthermore . . .
* The REAL ID law still exists as an unconstitutional, unfunded mandate on the cash-strapped states
* 21 states will still be out of compliance when it is scheduled to take effect in May, 2011 http://www.seattlepi.com/local/431425_realid08.html?source=mypi
* By de-funding the verification hub, there's no longer any point in forcing the states to implement REAL ID
This is America, land of the free. It's not the land of "Your papers, please." Help restore liberty to America and repeal REAL ID.
And please share this good news with your friends. Share this on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/downsizedc
P.S. New articles at the Downsize DC Foundation: