On May 11, 2005, the Real ID Act was signed into law.
Today, Sunday, May 11, 2008, was the day, by which, the Real ID Act was to be implemented in every state.
And today, Sunday, May 11, 2008, the Real ID Act will be the subject of my TWO-HOUR radio show, the Downsize DC Conference Call.
Our show sponsor, DownsizeDC.org, began fighting the Real ID Act back in October, 2004. DownsizeDC.org was only a few months old at the time.
Twice the House passed it. But public pressure worked. The Senate defeated it once. The second time the Senate refused to bring it to a vote. Real ID was dead . . .
. . . or so we thought. As we reported to you Thursday, we lost ONLY because the House and Senate leadership inserted it into an unrelated bill that was sure to pass.
One month after Real ID was passed, DownsizeDC.org began a "grudge campaign." Scores of groups did the same, working in the various states. Soon, a full-fledged "Real ID Rebellion" was underway. That surge of activism has delayed implementation in EVERY state until December, 2009, and we've got a real chance to kill this bill for good.
On today's show, you'll hear from a diverse cross-section of this movement:
* Noam Biale, American Civil Liberties Union, ACLU.org
* Craig Treadwell, Endtime Magazine, Endtime.com
* Aaron Bolinger, National Veteran's Committee on Constitutional Affairs, NVCCA.net
You'll also hear an update from show sponsor, Gun Owners of America. And it too will be about the Real ID Act.
The program starts at 3:06 PM Eastern (2:06 PM Central, 1:06 PM Mountain, and 12:06 PM Pacific).
The toll-free call-in number is 1-800-259-9231.
Or you can email me. The address is "CALL at DOWNSIZEDC dot ORG" (Just type it in as it sounds).
You can listen live online at gcnlive.com/Listen_Live.html
Or you can hear the show on these stations,
* WCER 900-AM Canton, Ohio
* WBCR 1470-AM Maryville, Tennessee
* KLID 1340-AM, Poplar Bluff, Missouri
* KGEZ 600-AM, Great Falls, Montana
And if for some reason you can't catch the live show, my network, Genesis Communications provides a podcast of the show, available a couple of hours after it goes off air, up through the next broadcast.
By the way, that Real ID "grudge campaign" continues today. Please send Congress a message telling them you remember this infamous date in their sordid history, and you want them to defund and repeal the Real ID Act.
Happy Listening to you,
Downsize DC Conference Call
* The Downsize DC Conference Call is Jim Babka's show and DownsizeDC.org, Inc is merely a sponsor. The views expressed on the program are not necessarily those of the Downsize DC boards, staff, or supporters. This message is distributed as part of a promotional arrangement.
** If you have technical issues with the podcast, please contact the webmaster at GCNLive.com, directly.