Today's Downsizer-Dispatch . . .
We proposed it, you funded it, and we did it. "RTBA MeetUp Groups live!" As of this morning. Who will be the first to start a group? It could be you. You can get started here.
Work now begins to send 1,000+ DC Downsizers to Washington, DC to . . .
* Urge Congress to pass the "Read the Bills Act" * Attend the "No Legislation Without Representation Conference" * Generate local and national media attention
It took a long time, but creating the logistical support to organize 435 Congressional districts is no easy task. There may still be things we've overlooked. But DC Downsizers will help us identify them as they use the system. We look forward to making improvements, and seeing the results.
Speaking of results . . .
We hear it all the time: "Emails to Congress won't change anything." Of course, we don't send emails to Congress. Instead, our software fills out forms at Congressional websites. It's a BIG difference! These web-forms have replaced snail mail as the primary way Congress receives the wishes of its constituents. But . . .
Web-form messages, by themselves, won't be enough to Downsize DC. All Congressional portals must feel the pressure, all the time, including Congressional doorways. That's why we've created the "RTBA MeetUp Groups." Can we find 2 to 3 people from each district to go to Congress and ask them to pass the "Read the Bills Act?"
We think we can. But it's up to you. These "RTBA MeetUp Groups" are your chance to build your own little platoon of DC Downsizers, and have fun doing it.
* You can build your little platoon in a relaxed social setting, like a happy hour, a dinner, or a pot-luck party at someone's house. It's up to you. Have fun with it.
* The "Read the Bills Act" is an easy sell. There's no complicated philosophy to explain, and no laundry list of positions to defend. Does someone want Congress to read the bills it passes? Would someone have fun compelling Congress to do it's job? If so, they're a potential member of your group.
* Downsize DC is an easy sell too. Does someone think the federal government should be smaller than it is now? If so, they're a potential member of your group, be they a Democrat, a Republican, a libertarian, a liberal, a conservative, or whatever they want to call themselves.
Compare this to things you may have done in the past. Have you had experiences akin to beating your head against a wall, trying to persuade people of vast philosophies and long lists of policy positions? If so, this is your chance to end the frustration.
Make friends with people of other partisan loyalties and philosophical persuasions. You may be surprised by how much you have in common, as long as you focus on the direction, rather than the ultimate destination. You can take it an issue at a time, and find points of agreement. Specific things where you can work together in good cheer. And the "Read the Bills Act" is the perfect place to start.
* Imagine groups in all 435 Congressional districts. Do you want that? Then start a group in your district today.
* Imagine 1,000+ DC Downsizers invading the halls of Congress to promote RTBA. Do you want that? Then start a group today and schedule your first meeting. Invite people you know to something simple like a happy hour.
* Imagine the local media coverage when your delegation goes to Washington, DC. Imagine the national media coverage when the "No Legislation Without Representation Conference" convenes. Even if you can't go yourself, we're pretty sure you'll be able to enjoy watching it on CSPAN. You can get the fun started right now by clicking here.
* Imagine the excitement you'll feel as your groups grows. Maybe it's just you and one other person sitting at a bar for the first meeting. But each of you brings another person to the second meeting. And gradually it expands as your new friends bring more friends, and more people come to you out of the blue, through the Downsize DC website. Before you know it your little group will be too big for a happy hour, and you'll need someone's home for a pot luck party. Some people join parties, but DC Downsizers throw parties!
Changing the world doesn't have to be a drag. We can do it with a smile. Start your RTBA Group today and we'll announce it to the world in the Downsizer-Dispatch, and on our blog. Schedule your first meeting and we'll start sending people your way. Don't be the lonely DC Downsizer. Make new friends. You can get started here.
One final note: MeetUp.com charges a small monthly fee to maintain a MeetUp group, but if this is an issue for you, just pass the hat at your meetings to cover the cost. I just signed up for six months for my group, and that's what I'm going to do.
Thank you for being a DC Downsizer.
Jim Babka President DownsizeDC.org, Inc.