Be of good cheer. There are many silver linings in what may seem to be a completely dark cloud. Let's think about what just happened . . .
* Statist Democrats have waited three decades to take over healthcare
* Their last attempt, in 1993-94, was a bust
* And aside from those two years, they haven't controlled Congress and the White House since the Carter years
* Now, it's already fairly obvious that their current control won't last long
After all . . .
* The American electorate leans conservative/libertarian and libertarian/liberal, NOT Statist Liberal
* Public dislike for Statism is why the Statist Republicans got fired in 2008, and it will likely cause many Statist Democrats to be fired too, starting this year
We think this explains the Democrats' suicidal determination to pass their healthcare bill now, at all costs, in spite of the massive public opposition . . .
It was now or never!
Even so, public pressure, including tens of thousands of letters from DC Downsizers, forced the Statist Democrats to make major changes . . .
They had to drop their "deem and pass self-executing rule," by which they hoped to make the Senate healthcare bill the law of the land, without ever voting for it.
You made the House Democrats do something they didn't want to do. You made them cast a direct vote for the hated Senate bill.
Tax-funded bribery is also becoming a major issue. Witness the furor over the Cornhusker Kickback and the Louisiana Purchase. Public pressure made the Statist politicians retreat on this issue as well.
You also killed the so-called "public option," which would have put us on the fast track to fully Socialist healthcare. As it stands now, the bill Congress actually passed more resembles Socialism's kissing-cousin, Corporate Fascism. This is why . . .
We find it both amusing and a bit nauseating that the Statist Democrats claim they've struck a blow against the health insurance industry. In reality, they've just forced every American to become a customer of the insurance industry! This bill is . . .
* A bonanza for the big insurance companies, NOT a strike against them
* A system of crony capitalism with government in control but corporations pocketing the profits
*Which is most accurately called Corporate Fascism
Perhaps most important, but little noted, your opposition forced the Statist Democrats to jury-rig their bill, so that various provisions start at different times. They had to do this in order to hide the bill's true costs, but this has also left their scheme more vulnerable to repeal! In other words . . .
* The bill may be the law now, but . . .
* Its various programs, mandates, fines, taxes, subsidies and regulations don't all get started now, so . . .
* After the election, just 7 short months away, some or all of these things may be reversed
But that's not all. Our Constitution's robust system of checks and balances is also about to swing into action . . .
* Many state governments are rebelling against this corporate fascist healthcare bill
* And many legal challenges are being crafted for the judicial branch to consider
It could be that our country is about to have a major discussion about the proper Constitutional role of the federal government, and that could lead us to win a far larger battle than the one we think we've just lost. Remember . . .
* State governments, playing their proper role in our federalist system, have so far saved us from having to carry federally controlled national id cards (under the REAL ID Act)
* And the court system, though far from perfect, has often acted to restrain Congressional over-reach (with our recent campaign-finance victory being just one positive example)
But that's still not all. There's one more major force to be considered, before any final verdict can be rendered about the ultimate fate of this Statist healthcare scheme. And that force is the most powerful one of all -- the market!
Please take note . . .
* Moody's has warned that the U.S. credit rating may be downgraded from AAA in response to our government's orgy of Statist spending and borrowing
* And the bond market is already hinting at this outcome through prices indicating that U.S. government bonds are becoming more risky than many private bonds
Remember what Clinton's adviser James Carville said back in 1993: "I used to think if there was reincarnation, I wanted to come back as the president, or the pope, or a .400 baseball hitter, but now I want to come back as the bond market. You can intimidate everybody."
Carville's point was correct then, and it applies now. The bond market can veto this scheme by raising the cost of funding it to an un-payable level. If this happens it won't be bad news, it will be good news, because then the politicians will have to economize, just like you and I do.
So here's what we think. We may have lost a battle, but we're far from losing the war. Indeed, this seeming defeat may sow the seeds of ultimate victory. Be of good cheer, and continue to fight. There are many things we must do. For instance . . .
We need to get more candidates to adopt the Downsize DC Agenda in the coming election. If you're a candidate running for Congress, endorsing the entire Downsize DC Agenda, we want to hear from you. FRONT-RUNNING U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul, who is having a money bomb today, endorsed four parts of the Downsize DC Agenda, in an interview with me, which you can watch at his website. Just look for the video titled, "Rand Paul and DownsizeDC.org."
We ALSO need to spank the current Congress for passing the healthcare bill, and pressure all of them, Republican and Democrat alike, to repeal it. Please send Congress a letter for that purpose here: https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/114
You can borrow from or completely copy this sample letter . . .
I'm very angry that the healthcare bill was passed. It costs too much and regulates too much. It will harm healthcare, not improve it. Please introduce legislation to repeal this bill immediately. Those who voted for it may think the issue is now settled. It is not. I will continue to pressure you until you stop COERCING me to live according to your dictates. Please obey your Constitutional oath of office. You can only do this by introducing legislation to repeal the cancerous healthcare bill that Congress just passed.
Thank you for your support, and please consider making a contribution so we can reach more people. You can do so here.