I just sent my reps a a letter demanding that they co-sponsor the Read the Bills Act.
Our hardwired message for this campaign says simply…
Co-sponsor the Read the Bills Act (S.1665).
You may copy or edit this sample letter…
We need an open process. We need the Read the Bills Act, introduced by Senator Rand Paul.
The omnibus spending bill to be voted on next week is proof. This bill…
* costs the average family about $10,000, but...
* was written by Appropriations Committee aides over the holidays IN SECRET
Most members of Congress were shut out of the process, and the bill STILL isn't complete. With a January 15 shutdown looming…
* You will have just a few days, AT MOST, to find out what's in the bill
* If history is any guide, you may not even receive it until the day of the vote
* In the rush to pass it, many bad provisions and corrupt deals will be buried in the text, undetected until it's too late.
I DO NOT CONSENT to seeing my tax dollars stolen from me and essentially spent in secret like this.
YOU shouldn't put up with this either! Your vote for this bill would be nothing more than a rubber stamp. You should INSIST on getting the chance to read the bill and be part of the process. You're supposed to be a representative!
The Read the Bills Act would allow you to do your job. Final bills would be posted online for seven days before votes on passage. This would allow you to guarantee your constituents that you had read, or heard read, every bill for which you vote.
This would also create an incentive for shorter bills, making your job EASIER.
I demand that you represent me…
* Oppose this omnibus bill, ESPECIALLY if you aren't given the chance to read it
* Co-sponsor the Read the Bills Act
I'll be watching closely what you do.
—END OF LETTER—
You will receive a copy of your letter to Congress via email. Please share your letter with friends. Ask them to take the same action.