Quote of the Day: "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken
Tonight the Senate will vote on S.510, the fraudulent and dangerous "food safety bill."You can learn the details in our previous Dispatch.
We must ACT QUICKLY to swamp your Senators with our letters and phone calls, telling them to defeat the bill.
Here's a sample letter you may borrow from or copy . . .
S.510 shreds our rights and makes our food LESS safe. It gives the FDA power . . .
* To make arbitrary laws in violation of the Constitution's Separation of Powers
* And to search private property without a court-issued warrant
I do, however, support the Tester-Hagan amendments. Without them . . .
* The compliance costs of S.510 will wipe out family farms and small businesses - even though they were not to blame for recent outbreaks
* Which means Big Ag will control more of our food
* Which in turn means LESS public accountability and MORE systemic risk
While you should support Tester-Hagan, the fact is that we don't need S.510 at all. Producers who want to keep customers and avoid lawsuits have enough incentive to ensure safe food.
Support Tester-Hagan, but defeat the final bill. Work to repeal burdensome regulations and create a real free market in America.
And spread the word to your friends and social networks ASAP. Here is a handy url to give them: http://tinyurl.com/23klpxs
Thank you for being a DC Downsizer.
Assistant Communications Director